This is my first attempt at gourd art.
I bought dried gourds at a local gourd show and cut the top off and cleaned out the inside. Most of the materials used were items that my husband and I collected from our yard or different places that we traveled. They include:
1) Small grapevine wreath Tom made
2) Leather lacing from Tom’s sunglasses holder
3) Â Stones that we collected on different trips. Some are marked with the states where we found them.
4) There are a few feathers from a hummingbird that died on our property.
5) There was a crack in the gourd which I filled with gold dust. I got the gold dust back in 1984 when I was travelling around the country and actually panned for gold in the Snake River in Idaho.
6) Acorns from our yard.
7) Thistles from a relative’s property in Michigan
And, oh yeah, the work of art is sitting on one of the larger stones that we collected during one of our journeys. I remember one time, sitting on the floor of an airport, switching rocks from one suitcase to another so that our bags weren’t over the fifty pound limit.